Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Productive Day

I love, love, love it when I have a day at home and I'm productive!  Today was one of those days ;o)  YAY!!!  First, I took Titan for a walk around the block.  I have walked this route many times with Bill and not once did we come across a loose dog down the road.  Well, today was one of those days, damn-it!!!  There we are, walking along minding our own business and we pass the "dump" house.  You know, the one with two trailers, a camper, a boat, four trucks and three cars, along with lots and lots of trash.  I know they have dogs and always keep my eyes open but didn't see a thing.  Next thing you know, there it is, a big hound dog trotting toward us, barking away.  If you know anything about Titan, he's not fond of other dogs, especially barking ones coming our way.

What's a woman to do?  First, "oh, shit" and then we ran.  Well, not ran really, but starting jogging away.  Now, Titan is not good at being reactive and jogging.  It's too much to wrap his brain around.  So, we jogged and jogged and jogged.  I kept glancing back to see if we were being followed.  Of course, we were.  Damn-it!!!  I threw a hand full of chicken behind me in an effort to slow down the approaching hound.  We ran to the end of the road, where I thought I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen or have a heart attack, whichever came first.  Thankfully, the offending animal had, finally, turned around and ran his/her butt back home, where it belonged in the first place. 

Once home, Bill and the foster puppy, Briska, were coming out, so we all went for a walk.  Lots of exercise for Titan and Briska, too.

Next, I made my annual Christmas Cherry Cake.
It's like a fruit cake, only different.  It has candied fruit and raisins but it doesn't have any molasses, so it's lighter.  The recipe calls for 8 eggs, along with the usual sugar, flour and so on...it makes a 5 pound cake and I eat most of it myself.  It's not a favorite of everyone but it's mine.

I got on the phone and made motel reservations for our trip to Florida.  While on the phone, FedEx delivered a large package from Amazon.  I have ordered a ton of stuff from Amazon so, naturally, I assumed it was MY package.  I got all excited, ripped off the tape holding the box closed and realized that it was addressed to Bill McGovern.  Oops!  At least I didn't rip open the box inside.

Next, I wrapped some presents.  Bill was away so I was able to get a few of his things wrapped, along with some other small stuff since I was using the kitchen table and there isn't much room to work.

Yes, I know, they still need my special, super, duper bows.  It's a start.  

I put some laundry in the washer and took a few minutes to play with our current foster puppy, Briska.
Briska, bringing everyone a White Christmas

She is such a good girl and easy to have around.  I think Bill has fallen in love with her.    I managed to clip all her nails, which they really needed.  She didn't care as long as she was spending time with me.  She will make someone a very special friend.

After that, I made sponge candy, another annual holiday staple.
Sometimes called moon candy
It doesn't look very good but it's very tasty and easy to make.

Bill wanted to make cookies, so I cleaned up my mess; I had had enough of the kitchen.

I gave Briska a bath, which was extremely easy, compared to Titan, a big scaredy cat.  

Since everything was out, I decided to give Titan a bath.  Yeah, right.  Instead, we worked on getting him into the tub without freaking out.  Chicken to the rescue.  

First, I held a treat on the edge of the tub and when he came to take it, I marked it with YES and he got the treat.  We did that a couple of times, then I moved my hand into the tub and he had to lean over the edge of the tub to get the treat.  Again, good work was marked with a YES.  
This is a scary way to get a treat
I kept moving my hand farther away, finally putting the treats on the opposite edge of the tub so he had to put his front feet into the tub to reach them.  
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can
Finally, he had to get all the way into the tub to get the treats, which he did all by himself.
Look mama, I'M IN.THE.TUB!!! and I did it by myself.
After that he went in and out a few times, always for treats and lots of praise for being such a brave boy.  At the end, I turned on the water, but didn't get him wet.  Clearly, the water is really scary for him and I wanted to end this session on a positive note.  These are small, but important steps, in my quest to get Titan comfortable with getting a bath.  My original plan was to put him in the tub myself and clean him up but I feel this was a much better way to spend my time.  I don't want him to be freaked out every time he needs a bath for the rest of his life.  

All in all, a good day.  However, being productive makes me tired!  I'm not as young as I used to be but don't tell anyone.  AND, I got bows on the gifts.

Thanks for stopping by...

No comments:

Post a Comment