Monday, February 25, 2019

Naples Botanical Gardens

Apparently, each year, the Gardens has some kind of artistic display among the plants and flowers. When we went two years ago, it was a display of origami sculpture.  You can read about that visit here, here and here.  We didn't go last year when the display included dinosaurs.

This year, the display featured glasswork by Hans Godo Fräbel.  I really enjoyed the different, fragile pieces throughout the Gardens, beginning as soon as you enter the Entry Pavilion and Kathryn's Garden.
"Cavorting Clown Fountain"
"Jesters On Branch"
We have started skipping the Children's Garden, mostly because it's full of kids.  AND, there weren't any glass displays in there anyway.  Go figure...

Our next stop is one of my favorites - the Brazilian Garden.  Walking along the path, one of the overlook areas is covered in this plant with the beautiful blossoms, which grows naturally from Venezuela to Bolivia.
Scarlet Passion Flower
This overlooks the pool at the top of the garden, where "Longfellow Gravity" currently resides.
"Longfellow Gravity"
The path winds upward, bringing you to the upper edge of the pool, where you get a closer look at the "Longfellows".
"Longfellows"
I really loved these tall, thin fellows.
I can't imagine how carefully these pieces need to be packaged in order to travel safely.

My favorite part of the Brazilian Garden is this colorful mosaic wall.
This is just a section of the wall because someone was sitting in front of it.  I probably said this before but I think this would make an awesome quilt!  There are many different lilies in the pool.
There is a lower pool with more glass to enjoy.
I think the view from up here, looking toward the Performance Lawn, is very pretty.  My kind of colors, I guess.
I thought this was interesting information...
From here we wandered over to the Performance Lawn, which we completely missed the last time we were here.  This sculpture, statue, whatever...is called "Circle of Friends" by Gary Lee Price and is on permanent loan.
It's larger than it looks and is very detailed.  Notice the baby Joey in the kangaroo's pouch and the bird, perched on the turtle's shell.

Across the lawn is the aptly named Water Garden, with a glass display called "Balancing Act".
The glass balls look very much like balloons.  I love the reflection!  There were also more lilies.
This is one tree, called a Screw Pine, native to Madagascar, Mauriius and Seychelles.
Looking past the Water Garden toward the Asian Garden.
That's the way we headed.  I don't know what this vine is called but I liked the heart shaped "leaves".
This one is called "light bulbs" and is native to Thailand.
These "Wavy Bowls" are made of glass!  The work appears to be  incredibly delicate. 
I love the reflection.
The Longfellows are here in the Asian Garden, too.  These are called "Longfellow Fountain" but I don't know why...
These are just called Longfellows.  They are smaller than some of the others.  I like the way they are crossing the water, very whimsical.
Of course, there has to be a pagoda in the Asian Garden.
Another one I don't know the name of, but I like it!
The Succulent Garden is the home of this sculpture called "Blue Calla Flare".  It stands about 12' tall.
Moving on...to the Florida Garden, home of the "Large Cube with Imploding Glass Spheres".  
Can you imagine packing this and moving it from one display location to another?  

This section of the gardens overlooks Lake Tupke.  Pretty sure there's alligators in there...
We walked back through the Idea Garden where we came across this African Milk Tree.
Bill had one of these, once upon a time...right up until I killed it ;o(

We made our way back to the beginning, crossed the River of Grass and came upon this!
"Queen's Wreath"
I don't even remember this from the last time we were here.  Maybe it wasn't blowing then.

We made our way back through the Caribbean Garden, to the Orchid Garden.  This is always one of my favorite stops and I take too many pictures, but I can't help myself...
These "Abstract Butterflies" were found in the Reflecting Pool.
This sculpture was in a display case near the garden shop.
I always like looking through the shop but I never buy anything.  

On our way out we saw these "Fantasy Flowers" and "Fantasy Flower Goblets".
It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed the glass exhibit, a lot.  I think we will come back with Wendy and Dan but I won't take as many pictures...maybe.

Thanks for stopping by...
;o)






No comments:

Post a Comment